PDA

View Full Version : MK2 16v Water Leak

matt16vwales
29-08-2005, 10:45
I have a small coolant leak and don't know where its coming from? I have replaced the radiator as i could see white deposits on the old one. I have also replaced the top radiator pipe and the t shaped pipe below the oil breather pipe. There doesn't seem to be any water in the oil and i'm sure there isn't any bubbling from the expansion tank with the pressure cap off.

Could it be core plugs? Does anyone know how to check this and where they are?

PerL
29-08-2005, 15:00
How do you know there is a leak? Do you see puddles on the ground, do you notice that the coolant level is sinking, or do you actually see where the leak is?

matt16vwales
29-08-2005, 15:27
I just notice that the coolant level is going down, i can't see any visible leaks.

Housey
30-08-2005, 09:02
if you can't see any leaks, then you enginge drinks your water...

Stijn
30-08-2005, 10:40
Or your heatercore is a little leaky, not at all uncommon.

Housey
30-08-2005, 13:21
the heatercore which came in the MKIIs are known to be leaky..

i know VW had a big guarantee thing on these heatercores..

they replaced them, and then added a pressure regulator

Marco
30-08-2005, 20:18
Checked the coolant? There may be some oil in it, if so it's not unlikely the head gasket has gone to hell :(.. I had exactly the same

Tjaap
02-09-2005, 20:43
i had a simular problem and couldn't find a single leak but my coolant went down all the time....
turned out one of the hoses had a very small hole that didn't leak when the engine was cold, but when it got warmer and the pressure would build up it would start to leak. They're very hard to find leaks and if i hadn't stumbled upon it while doing something else i probably would have never found it.. So basicly stay positive, doesn't have to be your headgasket..

matt16vwales
05-09-2005, 18:51
Thanks for all your replies, i've had volkwagens for around 16/17 years now and i've had leaks in most of my cars and usually find them. i know its a process of elimination. I've replaced two pipes and the radiator and thought i'd fixed it. I did notice two pipes are joined by a solid plastic section, so this may be the problem? This pipe is the one going into the heater valve. is this what you were referring to ?