PDA

View Full Version : 4 corners parking/brake lights on B4V, possible?

Rammstein
19-03-2004, 15:36
I have a B4 Variant TDI and when I put the parking on the lower light come up.

When I brake, the upper light and center brake light come up.

I would like to get the same visual effect found on the B5.5:

when on parkings, all 4 lower light (not the center brake light) light up.

When braking, I'd like all 5 lights to come on.

I don't know if I make myself clear, but my question is: is there a way to do it?

Maybe this would be clearer if you look at the picpost and go down to the red B4 Variant that's there.

Thanks.

PerL
28-03-2004, 03:12
Sure it is possible, all yo need to do is graft in some bulb holders that will accomodate the dual filament bulbs (1157?) and do some wiring as well.... :)

Marco
28-03-2004, 12:40
And maybe you need some diodes, is it possible for you to make a drawing of the situation? Here in europe the lights are different, so it's a little difficult for us to understand what you mean.

If you can make a drawing, i will see if i can make a little schematic for you

PerL
28-03-2004, 21:49
If I understand him correctly, he wants parking lights in the rear fog positions as well, and also brake lights above the reverse lights, in addition to the standard lights.

Rammstein
29-03-2004, 23:14
Not exactly.

I want the lights above and below the flasher to act as both parking and brake lights.

The center brake light (in the rear glass) will stay as it is now.

The back up lights and the rear fog lights are on the hatch and the parking/flasher/brake lights are on the side of the car.

I hope I make myself clear.

I'll post a pic to make the matter clearer.

Rammstein
29-03-2004, 23:24
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=700885&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

This is the rear of a B4 Variant (not mine btw).

As you can see, there is a separation in between where the back up lights and the rear fogs are and the combo brake/flashers/parkings.

I would like the brake and the parkings to be brake and parkings at the same time.

Like on the newest Passat (the B5.5), where all 4 lights are parking and brake at the same time.

I'll photograph the rear of my car with the hatch open if it's not yet clear.

Rammstein
29-03-2004, 23:26
Maybe Audi, Seat or Skoda had that feature in a similar model, is it possible? :confused:

PerL
30-03-2004, 17:12
I understand where you're going now, and of course anything is possible, with enough creativity! You want both red lights in the outer lamp unit to be combined tail and stop lights, right?

Well, you need to make some differnt bulb holders stay in there, so they will accept a set of P21/5W (1157) bulbs, then do a little bit of rewiring.

Rammstein
30-03-2004, 17:44
And what about other vehicles in the VW family?

Would Audi, Seat or Skoda would have what I'm looking for? :confused:

PerL
30-03-2004, 18:51
Well, there are no other VW or Audi (or Seat or Skoda) that uses the same bulb tray as the Passat, so that wouldnt help. You basically need to modify your bulb tray to accomodate the different bulb with it's two umm...what should I call it :confused: poles, I guess? They wont fit as is, but of course you already knew this.

Marco
30-03-2004, 19:00
It's a little difficult for us euro's to understand, cause you ami's have other tail lights.

Can't you draw something in Paint (for example) with the old and the new situation??

PerL
30-03-2004, 19:03
Marco, the US-spec B4 Passat (35i 94-96) has the very same tail light setup as the European versions.

Picture the outer tail light on the Variant.

Top is brake light
Middle is turn signal
Bottom is tail light

What Rammstein wants is this:

Top: Brake & tail light
Middle: Turn signal
Bottom: Brake & tail light.

In other words, combined 21/5 watt bulbs in both the top and bottom positions of the lamp. Did this help you understand?

Rammstein
31-03-2004, 06:50
You got it right PerL.

It would be easier if the light tray would be already made (from another VW product for example), and all I would have to do is buy it from Europe...

I'll get pictures of what mine looks like tomorrow. :D

Marco
31-03-2004, 18:52
OK, now i understand :)

I should do the following. Put the bulbs (21/5 watt) in the tray, bend away the pole that's already there, solder a wire between the pole and the bulb, same for the 5 watt connection.

You can fix the bulb in the tray with some tape, wind it around the blub, so it clamps in the tray.

PerL
01-04-2004, 17:38
While soldering would work, it would make it a bitch when you have to replace a bulb.

Marco
01-04-2004, 19:12
You have to make some choices..................

Rammstein
09-04-2004, 20:05
Or I can make the rear fog lights as brake lights, but it wouldn't look symetric nor appropriate... :o