PDA

View Full Version : turbo with carburator?

SKINNY_PEDAL
23-05-2006, 00:51
tried searching but nothing was really coming up. i know it is possible. but i want to keep my 1,6 in my car with a webber or webbers but would like to run a turbo as well. anyone know anything?

while im at it, could i use a 32/36 webber on the rabbit?

FDL
23-05-2006, 04:56
Well, as far as I know, it can be done. The only thing that I can't really confirm is the space necessary on the rabbit. On longitudinal engines it fits perfectly, just take a look:

http://www.volkspage.net/multimidia/galeriavisitantesmodificados/photos/saveirorobzombie/saveiro0003.jpg
(Weber 44 IDF + Turbo Biagio .50/.70 Bi-Pulsative)

http://www.volkspage.net/multimidia/galeriavisitantesmodificados/photos/saveirorobzombie/saveiro0005.jpg

So, you just need to see if there is SPACE for it. The turbo for itself can be placed on any engine, as long as the engine isn't f***** up... :rolleyes: :D

[]'s

Stijn
23-05-2006, 14:26
Well, there's two ways to do this really.

Number 1 is as seen above, feeding compressed air through the carburator (used a lot in Brasil!). You'll need to build a pressure dome around the carb so as to compensate for the increased pressure passing through the carb, or you'll kill the venturi effect a carburator is based on. If you understand your carburator very well you can skip the whole pressure dome and do it the way as pictured above, but you must be very certain that the floatbowl(?) is also pressurized by the turbo so as to compensate for the increased pressure and maintaining the venturi effect.

Number 2 is to place the carb in front of the turbo. In effect, the turbo takes in air (actually, mixture) through the carb. This method is easier to build and tweak, downside is you'll not be able to place an intercooler (instead of air, fuelmixture will pass through and all kinds of weird stuff will start to happen).

Stijn
23-05-2006, 14:27
Damn, just saw your location: DesMoines WA?? I used to live there :) You happen to be DCI material?