View Single Post
Old 18-10-2005, 15:16
Forum Newbee

Send a message via MSN to Stampede
Default 50's Retro Ruffrod cab project...

Hello all!

New forum member.
Tought I'd make a tread about my project that has been lurking in my garage for a while. Slowly but surely developing....

The car, an '81 cabby with a 1.8 GTI engine with a carb mounted, don't ask me why, previous owner business!

Been playing around with the idea of making a 50's Bonneville ruffrod style cab for along time. So when this baby entered my garage it was time to set the plan into life.

Matte black paint, white top with no rear window, 14 inch steelies powdercoated red, with whitewall tires and Moondiscs.
Some other period pieces will also find it's way to this project. Peep-mirror, A-pillar search light, lionpaw exhaust tail, and also some "until further notice" secret parts!

The car is painted in my own garage by yours truely! Just to get that real homemade ruffrod 50's finish on the paintjob.
I've also started putting the car back together.

I'm posting som in progress shots from this winter, and also some pics of parts and other stuff I'll be mounting on the car.

Waddaya all think?

Ripped, but with new doors, new brakes and adjustable coilovers mounted. I also cleaned the car totally on the underside and applied new anti-rust goo! shitty job!

Some bodywork, new front and front fenders, plus welding shut the old mirror holes.

All spray spackled and primered ready for the matte black paint.

The paint is on, with just the ruffrod finish I wanted.

Went overboard one day when I was working from home. Not much work that day as you can see. Masked and painted flames in true 50's custom spirit.

Original rearlamps ready for modification.

Modified and mounted! Here you can see the lionpaw and part of the restored chromebumper as well.

Whitewalls, the lionpaw (before mounting, of course) and a couple of secret trick parts!

And I just had to get this, kinda blends in with the rest of the car...

The front is slowly turning cool.....
I did a small trick on the lower grills by adding a chromestrip to the top and bottom of them, to kinda resemble the frontgrille.

Polished doorlock mechanisms

TMI carpet and rear seatcover arrived!!

Old style chrome handles mounted, just sitting there waiting for their little black inserts....

Matte black and chrome, kinda cool don't ya think??

Since I was temporarily short of funds this summer I mounted stuff that I've had laying around since spring.
I mounted the rear hatch, the new upholstered rear seat, new TMI carpet, the cabframe and also polished some parts and added some chrome...

Here's some pics....

Polished doorlock bolt....

Rearhatch mounted...the hatch is being modified this winter but it'll do for now!

The rearseat with the TMI upholstery...

The carpet set also included new carpet for the rearshelf and sides too...nice!

Some rock'n roll stuff!

Some windowframe chrome...

Hmm... I wonder what this is??

A sneak-peek of how it'll look with the Moondiscs. Smaller rubber and whitewalls will be added shortly.

Things were moving slowly forward this summer...

Got started mounting the top, plus I also got my hands on some more Moon parts. The Grant steeringwheel in red flake will blend right in with the rest of the theme, in my opinion.
I just had to have the Moon hornbutton with the Maltese cross on it.
A Moon Brody knob and 3" Moon peep mirror just complements the look I'm going for.

Here's some pics....

Started the cab mounting...

Da steeringwheel and Brody knob.....

3" Moon Peep....

Da wheel mounted, I just dig this ....

Here's some more pics, starting to look really bitchin' now, don't you think??

...more to follow!

Due to current financial constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel
will be turned off until further notice.