PDA

View Full Version : correct wheel centre bore?

field
14-11-2005, 18:02
I have just aquired some 13x7 inch steel wheels.
The pcd is 100 which is the right fitment but centre bore on the wheel is slighty to big and there is no support from it. So the wheels are hanging off the bolts only.

Is this common on other non vw wheels or should the centre bore be a tight fit on all wheels fitted.

Don't want to fit the wheels if there are not going to be safe or cause damage!

Heard something about adaptor rings but don't know what they do!

Any advice would be really good!

Cheers

G40Rob
15-11-2005, 00:27
Its not safe dude!!

You need a little thing called spigot rings. They fit staright in to the original wheel & reduce the centre bore to what they should be (VW=57.1).

You should be able to get them from an alloy wheel supplier or most wheel & tyre places, just need to find the centre bore of the wheels.

;)

field
15-11-2005, 11:29
cheers for the help, the bore on the wheels is 65mm.

Do the spigot rings act as a support or are they just there to help get the wheel on in the right place???

cheers

Marco
15-11-2005, 21:24
Not as a support, they just help you to center the wheel correct. There mostly made of plastic

Tjaap
15-11-2005, 21:28
i've driven around without them before.. some wheel guys say it's important to have them, some say it doesn't really matter as long as the wheels are fitted right.... so i'm not really sure, but i've driven hundreds of miles without them...

field
16-11-2005, 00:30
did the bore on your wheel fit propably?

some people seem to think that you need the support from the bore as well as the bolts?

paultje
16-11-2005, 01:01
I also thought that the ring is a vertical-support, and the bolts vertical ánd horizontal support and not just for fitting right.

I drove for about a year with a bigger centre bore, nothing happened :rolleyes: but is it safe?

PerL
16-11-2005, 17:51
I'd say it's safe. All the aircooled VWs had wheels that wasnt centered on the hub, and I've never heard of any accidents because of this.

paultje
16-11-2005, 18:33
I'd say it's safe. All the aircooled VWs had wheels that wasnt centered on the hub, and I've never heard of any accidents because of this.

why is that? Doesn't aircooled have a hub? So the wheel is only leaning on the bolts?

Marco
16-11-2005, 22:50
That's right Perl, i didn't think that way. The centre bore of the 5x205 wheels is ernormous, the hub is relatively smal, let's say that is about 50mm, the centre bore of the original steel bug wheels are about 150mm or something like that. Does anyone have a picture of them?