PDA

View Full Version : Drip Rail Delete

silentdub
24-07-2007, 18:23
Has anyone shaved off the drip rails on an MKI?

Mine have some rusted spots and one area that is weak, I was thinking of cutting them off.

Any pics, or pics of work in progress?

Tjaap
24-07-2007, 18:50
as in raingutters? on the roof? saw it on a caddy, a while back.. looked good.

PerL
24-07-2007, 19:17
That is exactly what he means, Tjaap.

I have never done it myself, but if you want to do it, you need to only cut away sections of it first, and have these sections welded. If you simply cut it all off, you will be able to lift the entire roof off of the car. This can also jeopardize the rigidity of the car, and the result may not turn out all straight.

silentdub
25-07-2007, 18:10
That is exactly what he means, Tjaap.

I have never done it myself, but if you want to do it, you need to only cut away sections of it first, and have these sections welded. If you simply cut it all off, you will be able to lift the entire roof off of the car. This can also jeopardize the rigidity of the car, and the result may not turn out all straight.

And that is also what I was thinking. I have rust on the gutter, After looking at it, I have some rust in the seams.

I can fix anything, but I am not fond of the rail to begin with, so I would hate to fix something that I don't even like, so I am thinking that I will cut, weld, grind and fill over.

This is a part that I never raped before, so I wanted to get some input.

sjampoo
25-07-2007, 19:23
it'll look awful on a 2 door: no gutter above the sidewindows looks.. well... awful

On a caddy it can be done.. find yourself some pictures of 2-door's w/o gutters, and you probably change your mind :)

silentdub
27-07-2007, 14:16
it'll look awful on a 2 door: no gutter above the sidewindows looks.. well... awful

On a caddy it can be done.. find yourself some pictures of 2-door's w/o gutters, and you probably change your mind :)

That is what I am trying to do is find pics so I know what it is going to look like before I do it.

I was also thinking of just removing the rear part of the rails above the rear window.

Tjaap
04-08-2007, 14:06
I was also thinking of just removing the rear part of the rails above the rear window.
i'm afraid that'd just be akward

oldskewl
19-10-2007, 20:41
Seen someone try and ruin their car completely. As far as I know, you can't, the car's held together under there.

silentdub
05-11-2007, 18:57
Seen someone try and ruin their car completely. As far as I know, you can't, the car's held together under there.

Well, I did it. The driver side drip rail is long gone.

I had to build up the A-Pillar in order make it line up with the door, but it looks good.

The roof is rolled in it, but if you cut small sections at a time, weld them shut, you are good.

I'll be getting some pics soon

PerL
05-11-2007, 21:06
I'll be getting some pics soon

Please do!

Tjaap
06-11-2007, 00:13
can't wait.. i really thought that this was another "can it be done? " thread that would never be put into actions..

Tjaap
18-01-2008, 09:45
here's a mk2...

http://www.volksforum.com/albums/files/4/8/1/0/S5030285.JPG

martiepartie
18-01-2008, 09:53
shoot me, but i think it's nice! It really smoothens the car, gives it a more golf3 like look.
It doesn't bother me that the rain gutter has disappeared above the rear part of the car.

Don't know if it looks the same on a golf mk1 though.

Pedaalemmer
18-01-2008, 09:55
Is don't like an mk2 which looks like an mk3.

However i like the shaved away raingutters

Stijn
18-01-2008, 09:58
That DOES look nice, wow... Talk about shaved & smooth :D

PerL
18-01-2008, 20:08
Is don't like an mk2 which looks like an mk3.

Huh?

Tjaap
18-01-2008, 20:26
it's doesn't look waterproof though... or is it just missing the doorrubber?
then again, i don't think it'll be seeing much rain..