PDA

View Full Version : ecoimpact - Australia

ecoimpact
22-06-2009, 03:46
G'day guys and girls,

This is my first post, thought I'd introduce myself a bit too.

I have a VW 1600 L that has been handed down through the family. It was owned by my dads mother and then passed onto my mother who continued to drive it for some years, which I have many fond memories particularly warming up by the heating vent down near my feet during those drives on cold winter nights.

The car has been sitting in storage for over 10 years now. My brother and his mate resprayed the car themselves, keeping its original colour, being done when they were about 17 yrs old and that was around 1995-6. The car has been kept under cover for most of its life.

I am a bit of a car enthusiast (HZ holdens are my thing), though I have owned a KE70 toyota corolla for nearly 10 yrs, also recently acquiring my dads XD ford Ghia sedan. I've owned a few other cars (UC torana, VB commodore and VL berlina), while I've driven lots of other cars when working as a car detailer in both the auto auction industry and an up market car wash in brisbane, so you could say I've got a bit of passion for the automobile.

I'm fairly traditional and want to continue keeping the VW original and in good condition, although I don't have the faintest about VW's! I'm also looking out for parts suppliers and mechanical information in general for future reference if need be.

The car hasn't been started for many years, although it was running when it went into storage and it would be good to hear of similar situations and what process you went through to get the car going, along with any dramas you had.

The drivers side boot hinge seized up after opening a year ago and the hinge is damaged beyond repair after my dad attempted to force it close, I'll need to replace both hinges as the left passenger side boot hinge has been bent in the process and although the boot can be lowered it cannot close as the boot is on a severe angle. Can anyone explain why the hinge would have seized up and where I could get some (white) hinges from?

I'll got a few pics of the old girl here http://gallery.oldholden.com/ecoimpact/Cars+I+owned/VW+1600+L/, which I will need someone to interpret the id tag in the bonnet, as most of it is written in German, along with what it all means.

Cheers

Jesse

ecoimpact
01-07-2009, 14:01
Anyone??

martiepartie
01-07-2009, 14:11
Strange, normally you'd be overwelmed with 'Welcomes'.. Due to the timelag, you were posting the topic during our sleepytime, probably that's the cause of missing the post.

But hello and welcome!!

Unfamiliar cars over there, but they look like Opel/Vauxhall. You have some pictures of the full car (1600L)?

Marcski
01-07-2009, 15:48
Welcome!

Might be cause you posted it in Off Topic instead of Who is who ;)
I moved it for you.

Unfamiliar cars over there

no they're not, there are quote a few members that drive or have driven type 3's

Parts are quite difficult to come by, but not extremely.
Where are you from?

martiepartie
01-07-2009, 15:51
i was talking about the typical Australian cars, the Holdens??
The VW i know, the others i don't.

Suppose he's from around Brisbane, since he mentions it in his story.

otti
01-07-2009, 22:14
hi to you!
i hope to see some pics of your car soon!

ecoimpact
06-07-2009, 17:47
Yeah there a dying breed the old cars, used to be a dime dozen many years ago now. I used to live in brisbane, though back living in Victoria - about 45 mins from Melbourne.

I didn't realize about the 'who's who' section, I get a bit mixed up with all the differences between forums, that's the problem when you have lots of different makes of cars, it's hard to keep up!

I'm pretty keen to hear what you all have to say about my original post :) and what is a Type 3?

I've still got the vw in storage and it's surrounded by a heap of boxes and the likes, so I can't get any better pics of it than what I posted initially in the link.

Cheers Jesse

Marcski
06-07-2009, 17:56
VW used types to identify the base:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Type_3

Beetles, things and early karman Ghia's are type 1, busses type 2, and VW 411 and 412's were type 4

ecoimpact
07-07-2009, 04:20
VW used types to identify the base:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Type_3

Beetles, things and early karman Ghia's are type 1, busses type 2, and VW 411 and 412's were type 4

Thanks.

ecoimpact
07-07-2009, 05:00
Not sure how to use this site properly still? Should I make a new post under a certain section for the questions I've asked?

I've got more questions: Would my car have been a special import considering the id tag is in german? Were the square back type 3's ever made in Australia? When did the id tags change to english? Would there possibly be a build sheet under the carpet? And would I be able to get a letter from VW confirming my cars details? as I am yet to find any original paperwork.

Cheers

Jesse

ecoimpact
18-10-2011, 04:58
Hey guys. Just dropped back by after a family friend rekindled his interest in our VW in the shed, as his neighbour is into VW.

I think I might get a vehicle road worthy check on the car, which should tell me what is worng with the car and help to gauge a price to sell the old girl for.

Tjaap
18-10-2011, 10:36
Well, after 2 years it's a bit late for me to welcome you, but what the heck... Welcome.
I would translate the tag for you but the link in the first post is dead (the holden's in the same link are pretty bad-ass though)
I'm not sure if the ever made the type3's in Aus. (Don't even know if they ever had a VW plant there at all)

VW does help people out with old car details.
http://www.volkswagen-classic.de/ run this through google translate and shoot them an email.