Volksforum.com

Go Back   Volksforum.com > International > Watercooled technical forums > General
User Name
Password
Home FAQ Register Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 22-01-2005, 16:06
Forum Newbee

Default cabrio trouble

im goin2make my mk1 cabrio into a 2 seater speedster, so iv stripped the interior ready for its new carpet, but there is a stregthin bar behind were the back seat is i was wonderin if i could rip this out and put a chrome rear strut brace instead? that my first question, my second is were can i pick up or have made a chrome half roll cage from that will still allow me2use my hood? all so will there b ne problems when i come2cuttin out my spare wheel resess and puttin a lighter alloy sheet across? i would also like2fit electric windows front and back,i know it is possible2fit them2the front but which kit is the best and how hard is it? i read in "the golf" that if i use early passat elecrtic rear window guts i can adapt them4the rear of my golf cabby is this correct and has ne body had the pleasure of fitting this b4? i would also like2know where i can get some chrome strips4my waste line and the top and bottom of my black (not clipper) bumpers from ? ne help would be great thanx
Old 21-02-2005, 00:57
Forum Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobble
im goin2make my mk1 cabrio into a 2 seater speedster, so iv stripped the interior ready for its new carpet, but there is a stregthin bar behind were the back seat is i was wonderin if i could rip this out and put a chrome rear strut brace instead?

That bar is one of three strengthing forms that were added during the the design of the Cabriolet because there is no roof. I understand why you would like to replace it, but I don't know how you could prove that a chrome tube would meet or surpass the structural integrety provided by the existing bar.

I would suggest that you contact your local motor vehicle inspection authority and ask how this would need to be proven before you start.

Here in Canada even the most lax inspectors will fail a car for tampering with a structual member. I know full well that European saftey standards (at least in Germany) are stricter than here.