PDA

View Full Version : Mk2 Golf/Jetta Boot Release

gholian
30-05-2007, 10:50
Hi,
I was wondering does anyone knows if any of the Mk2 Golf/Jetta came with an interior boot release switch. I hate getting out to open the boot with a key. I have looked up any sales brochures I had on them but there was no sign of a boot release. I was thinking of buying one of those solenoid kits to open the boot from inside but I don't want to drill a hole in the dash for a switch as I would prefer to use something original if it exists.

Gerry.

RubenD
30-05-2007, 11:24
Nope that doesn't came as an factory option. You could indeed buy a solenoid kit in a shop somewhere. I installed one to. I guess you have a Jetta? Then you can't do it like most Golf drivers do, they hook it up to their rear window wiper switch. I didn't do that.

I'm driving a 16V so the chocke handle isn't used. I removed the cover (in rhd cars just a bit below on the leftside of the steering wheel). The switch is black and fits in perfectly.

Or you could buy a switch at Ebay.de they offer switches with all kind of colors. I guess you could give that a place somewhere in your center consule (close to the handbrake).

Good luck!

PerL
30-05-2007, 16:55
I guess you have a Jetta? Then you can't do it like most Golf drivers do, they hook it up to their rear window wiper switch. I didn't do that.

But if he indeed does drive a Jetta, he can install a Golf wiper switch and use the rear wiper function to trigger the solenoid! ;)

carsluTT
30-05-2007, 17:38
tricky haah....

RubenD
30-05-2007, 17:42
I thought of that solution. I just figured he could think that out himself ;)

Tjaap
30-05-2007, 20:22
and instead of the solenoid kit find a Huyndai at the wreckers.. they all came with them as far as i know

gholian
31-05-2007, 09:26
Thanks guys for your replies. That is strange that they never came with a boot release. I have a mk2 Golf. I did think of using the choke blank off as it was the only place I could see that a switch wouldn't look out of place. I see there are solenoid kits for sale on ebay for £14 and I just need a nice looking dash switch. But I will check out the breakers this weekend for a Hyundai to see if I can use the solenoid and switch.

Thanks.

PerL
31-05-2007, 19:46
Japanese/Korean cars usually had them, German/European cars rarely did.